Thursday, March 12, 2009

Regrets. . .


It's what everyone has but no one wants . . . regrets! Today I had a conversation that was waving an opportunity in my face but I failed to take it. It went something like this:

It was the last period of the day and somehow my friend Mary-Margaret and teacher Mr. Schmalz began a discussion on technology. They were talking about the Internet and stuff when Mr. Schmalz said:

"Do you know what you should do this March Break Mary-Margaret? You should create your own website!"

Mary-Margaret: "I want to . . . but I don't know how!"

Mr. Schmalz: "Go to Google and type in "Kids Make Websites". That will definitely help you."

M-M: "Alright."

Mr. Schmalz: "Or even simpler, you could create a MySpace page! Or what about Facebook? And MSN? You can create a web page on MSN, right? There's also the option of a blog!"

M-M: Turns to face me and says, "Iryna has a blog!"

Twenty-nine pairs of eyeballs turn to stare at me.

Mr. Schmalz: To me he says, "Really? What do you write about? Books? Your teacher?" That last part he said with a gigantic smile.

Everyone in my class knows I love to read so when I didn't say anything they all burst out laughing.

Me: "Only books." But now that I think about it, my teacher is in here too now.

Suddenly I am drowned in questions from my classmates. "What is it called?" "What's the website?"

Mr. Schmalz interrupts by saying:

"How many hits do you have?"

Me: At this I smile proudly and say, "Two." But now that I think about it, I think it's more like four or something (Thank-you!).

I think Mr. Schmalz noticed I didn't answer any of the questions that people were still shooting at me so he said:

"You know, if you want to, you can give me the address to your blog and I won't talk to anyone about it."

Me: I manage to choke out, "Maybe".


Now that I think about it, I don't know why I didn't give my classmates the address to my blog. Isn't one of the main points of a blog having other people read your personal opinion on things? I think the main reason I didn't give out my blog address was because I was afraid my content wasn't good enough (do you think it's good?!).

I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said "Do one thing every day that scares you." Tomorrow I am going to go up to Mr. Schmalz and say "If you don't mind, I would be greatly honoured if you would tell me your honest opinion of my blog and even more honoured if you would spread the word of its existence."

Do you own a blog? If so, do you tell people about it or choke up on the near mention of the Internet?

Added Later: I just thought of something. If I do ask Mr. Schmalz to read my blog and don't chicken out, Mr. Schmalz might actually read this! Or be reading this right now! Yikes!

Hi, Mr. Schmalz!


9 comments:

Senfaye said...

It's okay, I love your blog! You shouldn't regret it.
Senfaye :D

Senfaye said...

By the way I am nominating you for the "I Love Your Blog" award!

Iryna said...

Thank you so very much for A) commenting daily and B) awarding me with the "I Love Your Blog" award! You are too nice for words!

Senfaye said...

Your blog is AMAZING that is why I comment daily and why I awarded you the "I Love Your Blog" award. Thank you so much for the compliments!

-Senfaye :)

Senfaye said...

I would love to email back and forth with you! Email: annieluvsmuffin@Gmail.com Email me if you want!

-Senfaye

Steph Su said...

I like your new layout! It's so pretty. I think that the reason I don't tell people I know about my blog is because, for me, my love of YA lit wasn't something that many others shared with me. I know for a fact that a lot of my classmates would have made fun of me had they known how much I enjoy YA lit. Sooo... I have a blog to make friends with people I have similar interests with. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting nominated for the "I love your blog" award! I thought it was hilarious that you put our blog disscussion on.

P.S How many hits do you have?

MM

Iryna said...

Senfaye, thanks for your e-mail and the compliment!

Steph Su, thanks for commenting and sharing what you think. I think the fact that my classmates might have made fun of me about my love for books is another reason why I didn't open up to them right away too.

MM, how do you know how many hits you have? :)

Jen said...

Sometimes I tell people, I dont tend to show though ^_^